Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Hello again! Freelancing, stick figures, and keeping it fun


Well, hello again! It's been a busy couple of years at the plate for the perfect blog post, and when you wait for perfection time flies by. Time is precious, so instead I am going to update weekly is more of a learning journey
Welcome to my blog and hopefully we can take this journey together
I have been taking trying to educate myself is so much more is involved becoming a brand than just the actual art.  Think 90% success anymore is the perseverance through social media, conferences, and networking.
 In the past  few years I I've been a full-time freelance writer and illustrator, to further my lifelong dreams and passion  for a life of creativity. After working in a dental lab as a ceramist ( glorified tooth fairy!) for over a decade under a microscope, I look forward to everyday as an opportunity to create and hopefully impart information, comedy, and a few smiles with this blog.
 My days are full, doesn't seem to be enough hours now that I am truly following my passion ! I can be found usually in the studio creating art surround about my whimsical little creatures - my cresties!  and get the question so much - why haven't you done this 10 years ago, 15 years ago,  why  wait till now?
 I think the market has changed so much with the Internet as you don't have to be local or pound the pavement as they say  to drop off portfolios in person. in just the last five years alone there are more opportunities now more than ever.
 But also there's more competition   as distance is really not a factor like it once was. this is good and bad. as a freelancer, every day, the people you compete with have a very low cost  for daily life.  Ns s It would be nice to spent years getting ready in learning and perfecting my art and just wait for the big contracts to come in. but in reality, I am a working artist a lot of my portfolio  are paid projects. I have taken the road to learn as I experience.   many blogs are right in saying "do not quit your day job," or keep a source of income intact   while developing your portfolio. I can't complain, as every day is different and I look forward  to new projects. I used to have a passion for color pencils, graphite art,  and pen and ink art.  In trying to become a real artist, and taken seriously, I switched to oils. But now I am a freelancer,  ironically -  the medium I am most hired for is watercolor.

"Leviathan" By Dyann Callahan, Children's CCG card art illustration


Here are some samples in my portfolio www.freelanced.com/Jynxx - the ironic thing about the site is that I've had the most views of any site  with my portfolio, 10,000 views in the first three months, but due to the flooding of workers I rarely get jobs there. Compared to just two years ago, all the freelancing sites really exploded with new workers.  Since I like to work in many styles,  Viva la Freelancing! 
It does get one used to rejection, and I joke to other artists, with freelancing I am rejected to 10 times a day. Don't take it personally,  sometimes your style works and sometimes it doesn't - no matter the quality it may not match the vision. I think art is the only occupation that amateurs  have the same chance as experienced workers- as it so objectionable.  I mean if someone was working on my car  with 20 years experience, as opposed six months, I would have more confidence in them.  But with art- beauty really is the eye of the beholder- no matter how cliché that sounds.
 To prove a point I was turned down for a job to draw stick figures ( the type on back of a minivan) at the same time I was in a gallery show at the Morrison gallery Elizabethtown, Ky. actually since then a bit on more jobs will stick figures and I'm always turned down,  I consider it a personal goal now!

Thanks for visiting !
Dyann

No comments:

Post a Comment