Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Do it now, dont wait for magic

I wanted to do a blog for quite some time, but always waited for the perfect timing. I actually wrote this post in Jan 2012.  I am happy to say I am in the middle of several projects, and the last illustration for my first official contracted Children's book was sent in yesterday.

I want this blog to inspire you to NOT wait for the perfect time, NOT to put off what you yearn for or love. Even if others consider it folly, if its in your heart it will be there. I wish I could say things like..".this picture was created in glittering moonlight and magic fell to the page in jeweled dew in the perfect nuturing studio space..."
But No,  even with a studio I would venture to say a good percentage of art is created between chores, family, and LIFE.
Things have taken off so well, I am estatic! But the days are grueling and there is a lot of work involved. I do not talk about it much, so of course put it on a blog!
But with bills and such, I always worked hoping someday to "be an REAL artist" or it would just come. I landed a good job in cosmetic dentistry and after a decade one day when working overtime, fell. I had 5 surgeries on my right hand rebuilding the ligaments and tendons- Inter Carpal Liagment reconstruction. 18 months in a cast and thats a later blog. I just remember sitting in Dr. Breidenbach's office with  my hand bound as he explained I would probaly not be able to write for a while, and never well again. When my husband asked about art- he just shook his head quickly and looked down like they do when someone dies. I will never be 100%,  and for a lot of time thought I could never pursue art again. My husband would send videos of people painting with various body parts- but that was not a help. He was trying- but it had been part of me so long - believe me, do not do that. Didnt help.
Anyhoo, now sometimes I am hit with trying to remember a big chunk of time missing art wise. I am like- Oh yeah- thats when my dreams shattered. The scars have faded. When a niece or nephew asks what happened as its a  scar from the base of my thumb  past my wrist, and a few on my hand- I joke I was running with scissors!

Well, this is getting long but heres an entry post from Jan this year below. I was happy to land a few art jobs. Today I am working on 4 books that are contracted, and I have 5 books of my own that will be out before the Holidays. I made a goal to do 10 books for clients, and 10 of my own by Jan 2013- a year from a new beginning!
Dyann Callahan



I had always wanted to do children's book illustration since I feel in love with Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit. The delicate watercolors and expressive animals are one warm memory from my youth. I have always pursued art and had one iron in the fire, whether I was in a full career or going back to school.
It makes me wonder now how come I didn't pursue it seriously? I think it was a dream that was lost in the shuffle. Many things happened over the last few years. One being I went back to school to finish my nursing degree. In doing so I became a staff writer and editor of an Award winning Newspaper. It rejuvenated all those childhood dreams to write and illustrate my own children's books.
My semester ended, and a friend of mine, Theresa Demario, is an amazing writer. She introduced me to the world of writing for hire-not a world of just sending submissions off- but on the spot hiring. I had been producing so many articles for the Street Newspaper, I had no idea that people bought good writing without months of waiting and low pay.

In having a journalism background after 2 years on the paper and being a student half my adult life, I am kind of a research nut and am used to cross referencing facts for the newspaper. So its is such a big help in article and content writing. Our biggest and longest term customers still are doctors who want ghost written medical content for newsletters and websites.In looking through sites like www.guru.com and www.ifreelance.com I saw calls for writing. I also saw many, many calls for children's books illustrations. I hope to revive a lost dream. Nowadays, its as easy as submitting samples over the internte. Not too long ago you had to be in the location and a lot fo footwork was there. In reading supportive blogs- like the amazing Will Terry's www.willterry.com - I know that a supportive family and nuturing enviroment when young can go a long way in making an artist. I did not have that as a kid.

I know NOW that my mother was a failed artist and my father a failed writer. As a kid you do not know that. You just get rolled eyes and a grimace when you say you want to be an "artist." They saw you kind of like this:



I know my mother was a fantastic artist with such a grace to her work, I find pictures of gallery showings. I am not sure what happened. I remember finding a H.G. wells type book my father had written stashed away. 

I actually  went to ASU for accounting and fine art- hoping to do a double major- but like an idiot quit when I started a new career of a "real job" in orthodonic restorations which was rather art-y and intense work under a microscope. I did that 10 years and always some type of art on the side.



I have painted wildlife for years and specialty art for the dogs I show like Afghan hounds and Chinese Cresteds and sold it on Ebay or personal collections. But with Ebays fees and them only using Paypal, the fees add up. Plus you have to rely on the Post office. People want the cheapest shipping possible, but they blame you if anything goes wrong. In 3 countries- Aust.- and esp the Euro countries it seems there were too many problems with the customs and International Despot in NY. Plus there is a ceiling. I literally can say my 1800 score on ebay is about 80% art I produced. It was fun, but everything I did was one of a kind so no reproduction value  unless it was a gold or silver piece. The biggest thing with ebay is no interaction really. I used to quip- " if I see money, they liked it, if I do not- then they didnt." But there is no legacy or prints to be had.



I Dyann Callahan, am still in the "Honeymoon Phase" and am just surprised that right there in front of me are calls for art. Its a dream come true. I  will post my process of becoming a Children's Book Illustrator as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment